The Host Chapter 23

The Host Chapter 23
Yogesh
The Host Chapter 23
CHAPTER 23 Confessed The shadow was huge and misshapen. It loomed over me, top-heavy, swinging closer to my face. I think I meant to scream, but the sound got trapped in my throat, and all that came out was a breathless squeak. “Shh, it's just me,” Jamie whispered. Something bulky and roundish rolled from his shoulders and plopped softly to the floor. When it was gone I could see his true, lithe shadow against the moonlight. I caught a few gasps of air, my hand clutching at my throat. “Sorry,” he whispered, sitting down on the edge of the mattress. “I guess that was pretty stupid. I was trying not to wake Doc–I didn't even think how I would scare you. You okay?” He patted my ankle, which was the part of me closest to him. “Sure,” I huffed, still breathless. “Sorry,” he muttered again. “What are you doing here, Jamie? Shouldn't you be asleep?” “That's why I'm here. Uncle Jeb was snoring like you wouldn't believe. I couldn't stand it anymore.” His answer didn't make sense …