The Host Chapter 22
CHAPTER 22 Cracked Jeb put his hands behind his head and looked up at the dark ceiling, his face thoughtful. His chatty mood had not passed. “I've wondered a lot what it's like–getting caught, you know. Saw it happen more than once, come close a few times myself. What would it be like, I wondered. Would it hurt, having something put in your head? I've seen it done, you know.” My eyes widened in surprise, but he wasn't looking at me. “Seems like you all use some kind of anesthetic, but that's just a guess. Nobody was screaming in agony or anything, though, so it couldn't be too torturous.” I wrinkled my nose. Torture. No, that was the humans' specialty. “Those stories you were telling the kid were real interesting.” I stiffened and he laughed lightly. “Yeah, I was listening. Eavesdropping, I'll admit it. I'm not sorry–it was great stuff, and you won't talk to me the way you do with Jamie. I really got a kick out of those bats and the plants and spiders. Gi…