The Host Chapter 20

The Host Chapter 20
Yogesh
The Host Chapter 20
CHAPTER 20 Freed Jeb let me cry myself out without interrupting. He didn't comment all through the following sniffles. It was only when I'd been completely silent for a good half hour that he spoke. “Still awake in there?” I didn't answer. I was too much in the habit of silence. “You want to come out here and stretch?” he offered. “My back is aching just thinking about that stupid hole.” Ironically, considering my week of maddening silence, I wasn't in the mood for company. But his offer wasn't one I could refuse. Before I could think about it, my hands were pulling me through the exit. Jeb was sitting with crossed legs on the mat. I watched him for some reaction as I shook out my arms and legs and rolled my shoulders, but he had his eyes closed. Like the time of Jamie's visit, he looked asleep. How long had it been since I'd seen Jamie? And how was he now? My already sore heart gave a painful little lurch. “Feel better?” Jeb asked, his eyes opening. I shrugged. “It's go…